Out kit included the
small piece of glass to provide a perfectly flat surface
to do the sanding on. The process sounded quite simple:
take the piece of glass, drop a few drips of water
to hold the paper steady, place the sandpaper on top,
put the heatsink on top of the paper and movie it
in varying motions.
Just keep on lapping, and lapping,
Things started off with
the edges of the base becoming very smooth first,
and gradually going inward with time. Unfortunately,
the very center of the base still had a somewhat rough
texture that was visable by the time we had used up
the piece of 600 grit. Wanting to do things correctly,
I went to the local hardware store and purchased another
piece of 600 grit to make the base uniform (As a side
note, 600 grit was the highest Ace Hardware carried.
So, if you're thinking of buying all your own sandpaper
it may be harder to find it then you would expect.).
This piece helped, but after a good half hour the
center of the base was still not as smooth as the
rest. I decided that this was already taking long
enough, and would continue on with the higher grits
even though the center was not quite perfect. Keep
in mind that it was still a drastic improvement over
how the heatsink originally was. We do feel the supplies
included in the kit are quite enough for the average
lapping, but you may need an extra piece if you have
a severe case.
You can still see the center isn't
quite perfect, and doesn't reflect as well as the
rest of the heatsink. However, it's still a huge improvement.
Going on to the higher
grits things became much easier and took much less
time. By the 2000 grit paper the base had already
become very mirror-like (except in the center, where
the slight roughness still occured. After the 2000
grit, I rinsed the heatsink well for the final time
and placed it in the sun to dry. Thirty minutes later,
I pulled out the dremel, the 10,000 grit polishing
compound, and the correct soft attachment for the
dremel. The polishing process was easy, although much
of the compound was just thrown off the dremel (Okay,
maybe the attachment I used wasn't perfect for the
job, but it did it none the less).