Welcome to Overclockers Hardware  

Reviews
 · Asus P4S333 Motherboard
 · Codegen 350 Watt PSU
 · EliteCool Lapping Kit
 · ExaByte Cold Cathodes
 · GMC Trinity X-21
 · Impression IM-21 Case
 · Intel Pentium 4 2.0A
 · Modding System's LCD Kit
 · Pny Verto GF4 TI4400
 · OCZ Dominator 2
 · OCZ Gladiator 2
 · OCZ Goliath 2 SE
 · Thermaltake G4-VGA
 · Xoxide BlackBox X40 Case
 · Xoxide Tri-Led Fans
 · Xtreme DDR PC3200

Articles
 · Making CAT5e Cable
 · Project: BigBlue
 · Top Ten - PC Junkie?
 · Top Nine - Kill your PC!
 · Testing PSU Voltages

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Our Sponsors

 · Xoxide.com
 · OCZ Technology

 




Home · Articles · Reviews · Affiliates ·  Forums ·  Contact Us

Installation

Now began the process of removing the stock HSF. Two words, Total Pain! Normally, by squeezing the pins and pushing the heatsink will pop off. However, it appears that this card's heatsink had been attached permanently with some type of adhesive. We were not about to give up though. Next we tried using pliers to pry it off, but all that did was bend the metal pins. Then came brute strength to try and twist it off, but that just gave us some nice imprints on our palms. Next we tried using a wall putty knife to try to split it off, all that did was bend the knife. Now was the time to get drastic, so we wrapped the whole card in plastic wrap and put it in the freezer for an hour, hoping this would loosen whatever was holding it to the heatsink. We had no such luck. One last chance, we grabbed a flat head screwdriver and used a dremel to grind the end of the screwdriver down until it was razor sharp. Placing it between the HSF and GPU we took the hammer and gave it three sharp whacks... SUCCESS!

The problems continued on, this time the GPU was full of some hardened adhesive. So, using a razor blade, we had to scrape as much as possible off the GPU. Then used the screwdriver and scrap it off down to the metal. Next we just used alcohol to clean the tiny bit remaining off. After applying a nice thick coating of AS2 to fill in the scratches we made, we put on the HSF.

Then it was time to apply the aluminum memory heatsinks. Unfortunately, they are designed for BGA memory, which is found on Ti4400 and Ti4600 cards. So, it was back to the dremel to cut each memory heatsink to size. Being small and light the heatsinks kept shooting off when we were halfway through the metal. Desperate to get this thing done, we ran to the neighboors and borrowed a hand metal saw. We cut it the hard way and then ground down the edges with a dremel. Attaching them was a snap using the supplied tape. Another problem I had with the ramsinks was that they aren't quite the same color as the copper GPU heatsink. They're more of a yellow or gold.

Picture time....


Here's before the mod. It's pretty bland and boring.. doesn't even look like a GF4.


A view of the back of the card before modding. Very plain, very boring.


There we go, doesn't even look like the same card now!


Hopefully we'll be able to squeeze a few more mhz out of that ram!

If you noticed, the heatsinks for the memory is facing the correct direction so that air can flow smoothly through it instead of just sideways like Thermaltake had originally designed.

<--Last Page Next Page-->




 






All content Copyright 2002, ochardware.com